Waarithah-Udin: “During the pandemic, we discovered a place called Food Chain that serves free nourishing meals to the community. This wonderful place has been great for my mental health, especially when I am unable to prepare a home cooked meal. We have been able to taste different healthy meals prepared by Food Chain or other restaurants & farms that support this nonprofit agency. One of our favorite meals that we enjoyed was their stuffed Bell peppers. My kiddos and I never had stuffed Bell peppers before the above experience. Afterwards, we decided to make this meal during our additional time at home. I am enjoying making memories and spending more quality time with the minions that I love the most! I hope everyone can find some type of positivity and make some lasting memories! Below is the recipe we used.
Ingredients for Stuffed Bell Pepper Recipe:
• 3 bell peppers green/red/yellow
• 1lb seasoned ground beef
• 1 tbsp garlic, minced
• 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
• 8 oz. diced tomato, canned/fresh
• 1/2 tsp salt, garlic powder, garlic salt
• 1 tsp whole black pepper, crushed
• 1 cup red lentils, cooked
• 1/2 cup brown rice, cooked
• 1 cup mozzarella/cheddar cheese
Make the stuffing
1. Over medium heat, place ground beef, oil and garlic in a sauce pan. Brown and season meat to your liking.
2. Add chopped onion and sauté until it becomes soft.
3. Mix above with lentils and rice (follow directions on package for cooking rice & lentils)
4. Fill peppers (emptied of seeds) and top with diced tomatoes and cheese.
Baking the peppers
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
1. Cut the peppers into two halves, arrange them in the tray facing up.
2. Place them in the center rack and bake for about 20 minutes or until it is done without
3. Remove the tray from the oven and place it on the kitchen counter.